Genesis G59 Phase 8

In this Phase you construct the CW Monitor.  I am not active in CW now, but someday I want to brush up my CW skills, so it is nice the G59 includes this in the kit.

It is a pretty straight forward part of the kit and there isn’t anything special about its construction.  It should be an easy step.  Unless you are Allen.

G59 MK2 Phase 8I installed the resistors, capacitors and connectors without a problem.  Then I installed the IC’s.  That’s when I made the first mistake.  It was late, I was tired, yada, yada yada.  I put the 741 IC’s in the wrong spots.  Spent a half hour getting them back off the board.  I broke a couple of pins in each one, but at least I didn’t lift any pads up.  Long story short, I was able to get them soldered back into the correct places.  I had to solder the broken pins from the top, but they all seemed fine.

Last step was to make a couple of cables.  I was starting to dread making these, but I think I finally have a good system setup.  Bruce KF1Z told me he would just crimp the end of them to the wire and solder them.  I started to use my Helping Magnifier to hold them in place and solder them.  Then I would bend the crimps and push them into the holders, no crimping tool required.

So on to testing the CW Monitor.  I did as the website instructed and I got a tone, but it was more like a buzz.  I did a little research on the mailing list and found a message that said to use a jumper in KS1M.  Tried that and now I got at least a somewhat decent CW tone.  I researched the list further and found it was reccomended that you use a 2.8k resistor instead of the jumber.  I had a 2.7k 1/8 watt resistor so I tried that and was satisified with the results.

Then I tried to adjust the volume of the tone.  You are supposed to adjust R15M to set the volume.  I tried that but after several turns it didn’t seem to make much of a difference.  I posted a message on the Yahoo List, but before anyone responded, I backed R15M way out and then I could hear a change in the volume level.  apparently I turned it in too far and I was afraid to back it out too far, but that is what did the trick.

Then I went on to check the Iambic Keyer.  The trick here is you have to have GDSR set to CW and you have to have clicked on the start button.  I did that and now I have nice dits and dashes.  I don’t have a keyer, so I just used a stereo audio cable and shorted the ends to test it out.

Next on to Phase 9 the Transmitter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *