In this video we finish K1SVC’s S-38. I show how we replace the speaker, and then run into trouble, the new speaker doesn’t clear one of the tubes, so we go to plan B. Then we install the new back and make a new bottom label.
Finally, we put it back to work listening to some shortwave broadcasts and a SSB transmission. Next step is to box it up and send it back.
In this video, we take a step backward and then move forward again. The water slide decals prove to be unacceptable so we move on to dry transfer decals. In the end the process looks great and hopefully the next video will be the last in this series.
In this video we repair the cabinet and media blast and powder coat it.
Next video we will apply the decals and finish it up.
In this video we finally complete the electronic restoration of the radio. Alignment of band 4 is completed after rewinding the Oscillator Transformer and some other work.
In this video I go over the results of installing the isolation transformer, Test the tubes and show the end result. We also find out we have some work to do on the Oscillator Coil.
In this video we replace the capacitors and resistors in the S-38. Next video we will start to work on the case.
In this video we clean and polish the S-38 chassis. We start out using Brasso and then move to Mother’s Mag and Aluminum Polish. I also clean the trimmer caps on the IF cans.
Arthur has asked me to restore two of his father’s Hallicrafters receivers. His father is K1SVC and his name is also Arthur. He sent me a S-38 and a S-40.
In this video I show the condition of the S-38 and S-40 and start working on the S-38.
By the end of the video I have the S-38 chassis removed from the case and strip the top of it of components to prepare for cleaning.
The next video will show the cleaning, polishing and reassembly of the chassis.
In the final installment of our restoration We show how we made the replacement knobs and give a final overview of the completed restoration.
One point I want to clarify. In one of the videos I misspoke and it sounded like the chassis was not hot. What I did was make sure it wasn’t hot when the power was turned off and then I also installed a safety cap to make sure if the filter cap failed it would not fail to a short.
Over all we are very happy with the outcome and think we did justice to this restoration. We learned a lot and hope to apply those lesions to future restorations.
At our local August club meeting, we presented the restored radio to our friend and he seemed to be very happy with it. We have several more Hallicrafters radios to restore, so look for future videos on those.
In part 5 of our restoration project, we align the radio and build, test and install the new BFO. We also install the chassis in the case and finish up most of the decal placement.
The BFO design was taken from http://www.flashwebhost.com/circuit/bfoceramic.php. I used power from pin 4 of the IF amplifier.
The next and final episode will show how we make the reproduction knobs and I will give you a final overview of the completed project.